Immerse yourself in music and theater while working in the most beautiful building in Detroit as the Director of Marketing and Communications of Michigan Opera Theatre (MOT). Michigan’s premiere opera company has a rich legacy in Detroit, restoring two historic theaters and stimulating the transformation of a once-desolate neighborhood into the city’s now thriving entertainment district. Be part of a team that continues to support the revitalization of Detroit by presenting the world’s best singers and dance companies to Southeast Michigan.
The MOT Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the successful development and implementation of MOT’s marketing, branding, sales, research, and communications efforts. He/she is responsible for achieving sales goals and raising visibility and awareness of MOT both locally and nationally to support all institutional goals.
The Director of Marketing and Communications for Michigan Opera Theatre (MOT) reports to the President/Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the successful development and implementation of MOT’s marketing, branding, sales, research, and communications efforts. He/she is responsible for achieving sales goals and raising visibility and awareness of MOT both locally and nationally to support all institutional goals.
- Leads initiatives in the development and implementation of innovative marketing, communications and sales/service strategies to achieve revenue goals, builds the MOT brand, promotes opera and dance series and raise awareness both locally and nationally of Opera programs and achievements.
- Develops and regularly reviews departmental budgets.
- Develops season and single ticket sales goals and revenue projections in collaboration with other senior leaders.
- Develops overall communications strategies and plans for each season and oversees the implementation of all aspects related to implementation of such.
- Develops plans and leads messaging decisions for communicating MOT’s activities to the media.
- Develops plans and leads messaging decisions for website, social media and e-communications programs.
- Oversees the achievement of season and single ticket sales goals.
- Monitors, reports and analyzes sales metrics to track marketing communications outcomes and strategically enhance future marketing communications plans.
- Leads discussions relating to the determination of ticket pricing, discounting and scaling of the performance hall to maximize attendance and revenue.
- Stewards the MOT brand, including consistently enforcing company-wide use of graphics standards and style guidelines as well as key organizational messages.
- Ensures MOT patrons receive outstanding service.
- Develops innovative ways to build the MOT brand, develop new audiences, and deepen patron engagement and loyalty.
- Leads the MOT’s research efforts to better understand and respond to its patrons utilizing both qualitative and quantitative forms of research.
- Collaborates with team members to support building a culture of philanthropy.
- Stays abreast of trends in the opera industry and in the local arts market, using information and networking to discover and implement best practices and new ideas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Five or more years of experience successfully leading marketing and communications functions of a complex organization, including subscription campaign experience. Performing arts experience preferred.
- Five years of focused experience in customer or member acquisition and retention.
- Demonstrated experience supervising high-performing individuals and teams.
- Proven ability to build strong brands and increase earned income.
- Demonstrated experience with marketing communication disciplines and multi-channel campaign design and execution. Experience with TRG Consulting preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or related degree, or equivalent education plus experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, email marketing, and ticketing systems required; experience with Tessitura required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with and connect appropriately with leadership volunteers.
Note: The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Compensation commensurate with experience, and includes a competitive benefits package.
Please send your resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com.